A Chemical Engineer’s entry level salary ranges from P10,000 - P28,000 per month and may even go up to P41,000 per month for those who are highly-trained and experienced. In the US, the average monthly salary for a chemical engineer is around US$5,893.
Basic Educational Requirement
The basic educational requirement is a bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering. Practice of profession requires passing the board exam for chemical engineers given by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC).
Cost of Education *
In a public university, a course in Chemical Engineering is approximately P3,500 to P7,000 per semester. In a private institution, it may range from P30,000 to P55,000.
Chemical Engineers also work in a variety of manufacturing industries other than chemical manufacturing, such as those producing energy, electronics, food, clothing, and paper. They also work in health care, biotechnology, and business services. Some may specialize in a particular chemical process, such as oxidation or polymerization. Others specialize in a particular field, such as nanomaterials, or in the development of specific products. Chemical Engineers may be employed in the following industries: Mining and Quarrying, Manufacturing, and Electricity, Gas and Water Supply.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Career advancement is dependent on undergoing additional training. Those who have gained further or advanced knowledge and experience are assigned with the more difficult projects with greater independence to develop designs, solve problems, and make decisions. Some Chemical Engineers may advance to become technical specialists or to supervise a staff or team of chemical engineers, chemists and technicians. Some become engineering managers.
Nature of Work
A Chemical Engineer works principally in the chemical industry to convert basic raw materials into a variety of products. A Chemical Engineer also deals with the design and operation of plants and equipment to perform such work.
- Apply the principles of chemistry to solve problems involving the production or use of chemicals and biochemicals;>/li>
- Design equipment and processes for large-scale chemical manufacturing, plan and test methods of manufacturing products and treating by products;
- Assist in other engineering departments with catalyst management, process design, maintenance planning, capital project development, turnaround execution, and equipment inspection.
Skills and Competencies
- Able to understand and describe molecular transformations and integrated phenomena that span a wide range of length scales from molecular to macroscopic;
- Can quantitatively describe and predict complex phenomena.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Should be creative and inquisitive;
- Should be analytical and detail oriented;
- A team player.
* Based on 2011 rates.