In the local labor market, an Aircraft Mechanic receives approximately P15,000 to P25,000 per month. For an Aircraft Mechanic A position, the base pay starts at P30,000 to P35,000. Additional benefits include premiums for overtime work on rest days, holidays, and special days; car acquisition; rice subsidy; training opportunities; and health care maintenance. In the U.S, base pay is much higher at an average of $3,015 per month. In Singapore, the rate is around 3,000 to 3,500 Singaporean dollars per month while in the United Arab Emirates, the pay scale is about 3,700 - 4,000 dirham per month.
Basic Educational Requirement
There is no prescribed course or field of study for prospective Aircraft Mechanics, however, an aviation-related course would be an advantage. Among the courses offered are Bachelor of Science in Aircraft Technology (4 years) and Aircraft Technician Course (2 years). Aircraft Mechanics are required to have a license from the Air Transportation Office (ATO) before they can perform their duties. The licensing process includes written examinations and panel interviews where a longer period of study in an aviation-related field is an advantage. For Aircraft Mechanics, the rules stipulate a practicum or on-the-job experience in an authorized aircraft maintenance or repair station. Because of the technical requirements of the job, new entrants to the workforce need to familiarize themselves with the equipment and must have a theoretical and practical knowledge of the job.
Cost of Education *
An Aircraft Technician Course costs approximately P 100,000-P 150,000 covering 2 years of schooling. A 4-year course on Aircraft Maintenance Technology would cost approximately P160,000-P200,000.
Due to business expansion and the promotion of various tourist destinations all over the world, it was projected that from 2004 - 2023, air passenger traffic will grow by 5% per annum. This will require a delivery of 16,601 new passenger aircrafts. By 2023, there will be 21,759 passenger aircrafts in service throughout the world. This means that airlines will be competing for skilled aircraft personnel including Aircraft Mechanics. Overseas, the following have signified their intentions to hire Aircraft Mechanics from other countries: Singapore, Hongkong, Qatar and Saudi Arabia Among others. Locally, job prospects will be high to fill-up positions that have been vacated by those who voluntarily leave their jobs for overseas employment and those who have retired.
Aircraft Mechanics may also be employed in the following industries: Wholesale and Retail Trade, Repair of Motor Vehicles, Motorcycles and Personal and Household Goods; Transport, Storage and Communication; and Public Administration and Defense, Compulsory Social Security.
Prospects for Career Advancement
It takes some five to six years before an Aircraft Mechanic can acquire a Mechanic A position which will give them opportunities to become Aircraft Inspectors. Those with broad experience in maintenance and overhaul can advance to lead inspector or shop supervisor positions. Those who undergo additional business and management training can open their own aircraft maintenance facilities.
Nature of Work
An Aircraft Mechanic fits, services, repairs and overhauls aircraft components, engines, accessories and related equipment.
- Fits, examines, tests and services aircraft engines;
- Replaces engine components or complete engines;
- Analyzes test data to evaluate the condition of engine, aircraft and equipment;
- Compiles information from measurements and performance test;
- Compares the state of items such as fuel and oil levels and tire pressures, and the condition and cleanliness of mechanical equipment to required standards; and
- Works close to tolerances, and uses precision measuring instruments and testing equipment to ensure adjustments and repairs are made according to manufacturer’s specification standards.
Skills and Competencies
- Mathematical , analytical and communication skills; and
- Mechanical aptitude with a thorough knowledge of basic Math.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Physically fit;
- Must have an excellent mind and hand coordination; and
- Possess an analytical mind since this occupation involves work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
* Based on tuition fee rates for school year 2010-2011.