A Sales Representative’s entry level salary ranges from P9,000 - P13,500 per month plus commissions and may even go up to P23,000 per month depending on the industry he/she is employed in and on the size of the company. In wholesale and manufacturing and in businesses of a highly technical nature, the salary is usually on the upper bracket of the given salary range.
Basic Educational Requirement
There is no formal education requirement for Sales Representatives, their levels of education varies. A bachelors degree can be an advantage especially for sales representatives who work with technical and scientific products.
Cost of Education *
A bachelors degree can be an advantage especially for Sales Representatives who work with technical and scientific products. A four year course would cost around P3,500 to P36,200 per semester in different universities.
Opportunities for Sales Representatives in manufacturing are likely to be best for those selling products for which there is a strong demand. Jobs will be most plentiful in small wholesale and manufacturing firms because a growing number of these companies will rely on agents to market their products as a way to control their costs and expand their customer base.
Sales Representative maybe employed in the following industries Wholesale and Retail Trade, Repair of Motor Vehicles, Motorcycles and Personal and Household Goods, Hotels and Restaurants, Transport, Storage and Communication, Financial Intermediation, and Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Prospects will be best for those with a solid technical background and with the personal traits necessary for successful selling. Opportunities will be better for sales representatives working for an independent sales company as opposed to working directly for a manufacturer because manufacturers are expected to continue contracting out field sales duties.
Nature of Work
A Sales Representative sells goods for wholesalers or manufacturers, to businesses, or groups of individuals. The nature of work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
- Answers customers questions about products, prices, availability, product uses, and credit terms;
- Recommends products based on customers needs and interests;
- Contacts regular and prospective customers to demonstrate products, explains product features, and solicits orders;
- Estimates or quotes prices, credit or contract terms, warranties, and delivery dates;
- Consults with clients after sales or con-tract signings in order to resolve problems as to provide ongoing support;
- Provides customers with product samples and catalogs.
Skills and Competencies
- Active Listener - gives full attention to what other people are saying, taking to time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times;
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively;
- Time management - Managing one’s own time and the time of others;
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior;
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Must have an interest in sales work and must have the tact and patience to deal with different customers;
- Patience and courtesy are required especially when the work is repetitious and customers are demanding;
- Must also be neat in appearance at all times.
* Based on tuition fee rates for school year 2010-2011.