Entry-level workers in the hotel and restaurant industry receive an average daily basic pay equivalent to the minimum wage rate prevailing in the place of employment. Included in this salary scale are workers in the accommodation sub-sector which consist, among others, of Room Attendants and other housekeeping staff. The basic pay excludes allowances, bonuses, commissions, overtime pay and benefits in kind.
Basic Educational Requirement
High school graduates, vocational technology graduates or college undergraduates can qualify for the job of a room attendant. Formal schooling has to be supplemented by training in basic housekeeping, either in-house or by a third party.
Cost of Education *
A 2-year course of Associate in Hotel and Restaurant Management costs around P13,000 to P24,000. A Certificate in Housekeeping Service Program would cost around P35,000 with a duration of 2 months or 240 hours plus 500 hours Externship Training. The course fee includes 2 one(1) set uniform, chemicals, use of facilities and training kit and this is being offered at Magsaysay Center for Hospitality and Culinary Arts.
Employment opportunities for hotel workers, including Room Attendants, are quite large considering that the tourism industry has been identified as a priority sector due to its potential to boost the country’s economy. Local vacancies will also arise as a result of the movement of trained workers into overseas employment. Room Attendants may likewise be employed in the following industries: Hotels and Restaurants, Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities, Health and Social Work, Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities, and Private Households with Employed Persons.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Room Attendants can move into the supervisory level if they have fulfilled the requirements for additional training and the prescribed minimum years of experience. The requirements may vary depending on the standards prevailing in the place of employment. A college education may at times be necessary to get a promotion.
Nature of Work
A Room Attendant performs duties in the cleaning and serving of guestrooms according to hotel/resort standards under the supervision of the Executive Housekeeper.
- Cleans bathtubs, toilets, sinks, walls, mirrors, tiles, counters and floor surfaces;
- Strips and makes beds and changes bed linens;
- Dusts all furniture’s, pictures, drawers, window ledges and shelves thoroughly;
- Vacuums the entire room and empties the trash bin;
- Replenishes amenities, linens and supplies in guestrooms;
- Ensures all electronic devices and lights are functioning properly;
- Transports dirty linens to the laundry;
- Adheres to proper lost and found procedures.
Skills and Competencies
- Effective communication skills and ability to work with a variety of people;
- Flexibility (able to perform a variety of tasks as instructed);
- Behavioral competencies in the area of customer service relations
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Physically able to perform house keeping tasks which require bending, lifting, carrying, standing for long periods of time, and constant movement;
- Good health (have no mental or physical conditions that may be aggravated by the performance of the duties of this position);
- Personable and trustworthy.
* Based on 2011 rates.