In the Philippines, an Interior Designer’s fee per project or design ranges from P20,000 - P50,000 and may even go up to P100,000, depending on the complexity and intricateness of the project or design. Overseas employment, such as in Singapore and Canada, the entry level salary for an Interior Designer is $2,416 a month.
Basic Educational Requirement
The basic educational requirement is a bachelor’s degree in Interior Design. Practice of profession requires passing the board exam for interior designers given by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC).
Cost of Education *
A four year course in B.S. in Interior Design normally costs around P35,000 to P45,000 per semester in private schools and universities. However, in public educational institutions that offer the same discipline, tuition fee would cost about 20%-40% less.
Interior Designers are in-demand in the Middle East, US and Europe because of the rise in construction and design activities in said countries. These countries have high regard to Interior Designers as well as Architects and Engineers. Interior Designers can work in the following industries: Construction, Hotels and Restaurants, Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities, Education and Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Entry level Interior Designers can be promoted as the Senior Designer or the Project Coordinator, depending on the performance and experience.
Nature of Work
An Interior Designer plans interior spaces of almost every type of building, including offices, airport terminals, theaters, shopping malls, restaurants, hotels, schools, hospitals, and private residences. Good design can boost office productivity, increase sales, attract a more affluent clientele, provide a more relaxing hospital stay, or increase a building's market value.
- Makes and conceptualizes ideas for customers based on their request;
- Estimates material requirements and the costs of production;
- Makes presentations proposals for clients;
- Meets with clients to determine factors affecting planning interior environments, such as budget, architectural preferences, and purpose and function;
- Advises clients about the choices of colors, furniture, layouts, space planning and other factors on design;
- Selects or designs, and purchases furnishings, art works, and accessories;
- Makes arrangement of carpeting, fixtures, accessories, draperies, paint and wall coverings, art work, furniture, and related items;
- Renders design ideas in form of paste-ups or drawings; and
- Works on a team with Engineers and Architects.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models;
- Must have knowledge in construction;
- Must have knowledge in mathematics, measuring alignments, square meters etc;
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing spaces for the effective manufacture and distribution of goods; and
- Must have the ability to make good proposals for the client.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Must have good taste in choosing aesthetics, colors, furniture and other important details in interior designing;
- Have wide knowledge in designs, from modern to different era. Knowledge on world arts;
- Know how to handle pressure and can meet deadlines; and
- Must have good communication skill.
* Based on 2011 rates.