Technical Support Representative
A Technical Support Representative’s entry level salary ranges from P12,618 - P20,500 per month and may even go up to P25,000 per month for those highly-trained and experienced. In the U.S., the monthly pay ranges from US $2,563 to $3,461.
Basic Educational Requirement
A Technical Support Representative can be a graduate of any course or with a college level of education and equivalent experience. However, those who have knowledge/experience in IT or network administration would surely have an advantage. Most employers prefer those with experience in call centers/telecom industry who have handled technical support account or have experience in outsourcing, shared services and operations.
Cost of Education*
A 4-year baccalaureate course would cost about P3,000 to P35,000 per semester in different universities.
Demand for Technical Support Representatives will be driven by call centers and BPOs nationwide whose demand for these type of workers have risen over the past several years and which is expected to further increase in the next five years.Technical Support Representatives may be employed in the following industries: Hotels and Restaurants; Transport, Storage and Communication; Financial Intermediation; Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities; Public Administration and Defense, Compulsory Social Security; Education; Health and Social Work; and Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Career advancement is dependent on pursuing additional specialized training. Some Technical Support Representatives become Technical Support Specialists in various fields while others become Technical Support Professionals. Others move into closely related areas such as systems analyst and software engineer after pursuing further studies.
Nature of Work
A Technical Support Representative is a person who provides answers to questions from customers regarding use and trouble-shooting of equipment, usually over the phone. It can either be for hardware, software, use or application of different pieces of equipment, from home appliances, to commercial equipment to industrial machinery.
- Identifies and handles customer inquiries, resolves customer concerns and maintains customer satisfaction; and
- Provides assistance in handling customer’s technical requirement;
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent problem solving and strong analytical skills;
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to exercise good judgement and make decisions;
- Good at technical writing;
- Ability to handle multiple inquiries and priorities while maintaining a pleasant demeanor with the customer; and
- Experience in documenting procedures.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Physically fit;
- Ability to work with a team and follow instruction from supervisors;
- Must be dependable;
- Pleasing personality; and
- Professional in manner.
* Based on tuition fee rates for school year 2010-2011.